Our Members are the cornerstone of our mission, and the Art Center offers a series of exclusive events for Members throughout the year.
Not a Member?
Thanks to all of our Members, the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey continues to be the state’s largest institution dedicated exclusively to viewing, making, and learning about contemporary art. Each year since 2009, the Art Center has been designated as a “Major Impact Organization” and granted a “Citation of Excellence” from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts. The Art Center is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and serves thousands of children, teens, families, and special needs groups every year.
Basic Membership Includes:
- Unlimited free gallery admission
- Members-only tuition rate on Studio School classes
- Eligibility for exhibition opportunities
- Discounted admission to selected special events and programs
- Discounts on exhibition catalogs
Members Committee Seeks New Members
The Members Committee organizes opportunities for students and members of the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey to display their work to the public in a manner that showcases the quality, professionalism, and caliber of each participant.
These opportunities include the Members Show and Collectors Week, the Downtown Arts Festival (Art + Cars), and year-round members shows in the Art Center’s second-floor community galleries. If you are interested in becoming part of the committee, they are accepting applications for three openings through April 15. The application form can be found online here. All questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Members Opportunity to Exhibit
Deadline for Entry: May 6
The Members Committee is pleased to announce that all members have an opportunity to exhibit in the Art Center’s community galleries this year. Members seeking to exhibit their works in any medium may submit a proposal for a solo or group exhibition of member artists. All proposals received by Monday, May 6, will be considered for the 2019–2020 exhibition season, and those selected with be shown in either the Marité & Joe Robinson Strolling Gallery II or Ann’s Place Gallery. The exhibition season runs from September 2019 to August 2020.
There is no entry fee and the exhibit proposer will be responsible for the collection and dispersal of artworks within allocated time frames; the cost of printing show cards, if desired; and food and beverage at the opening, if desired. Art Center staff will provide the installation space, and along with member volunteers, assist in hanging the artwork, as well as working with the organizer on an opening and publicity for the exhibition. The exhibition will need to include works to fill the exhibition space (84 linear ft in Robinson Strolling Gallery II, 43 linear ft in Ann’s Place Gallery) and 2D works must be ready to hang with appropriate wire or fixtures for hanging. Proposed exhibitions can be one-person, two-person, or group shows and all works must be family-friendly and appropriate for a general audience. Any questions can be sent to Melanie Cohn at firstname.lastname@example.org with “ATTN Members Committee” in the subject line. All applicants will be notified by June 30 of the Members Committee’s selections.
To submit a proposal send:
- 10 images (jpg or pdf) representative of the work to be shown with an identifying list that includes the artist name, title, year created, size, and media of each artwork.
- Contact information, including name, email, and phone number of person proposing the exhibition.
- A description of the exhibition, including exhibition title, names of participating artist(s), and the concepts or themes that will be explored.
- A short bio for each participating artist.
Only one proposal is required for group exhibitions. Send the complete proposal via email to Melanie Cohn at email@example.com with “Proposal for Members Committee” in the subject line. Incomplete proposals will NOT be considered.
2019 Members Art Show and Collectors Week
The Members Committee is excited to announce the third annual Members Art Show & Collectors Week! Responding to feedback from last year’s participants, this year’s exhibition has been expanded to a 10-day celebration of art made by our members. The exhibition will be open to the public from June 21–30.
Exhibition Opening: Friday, June 21 from 6–8:30 PM awards presented at 7:30 PM
Closing Toast & Art Pick-up: Sunday, June 30, 3:30 PM
Want to exhibit your work? Here’s how!
All Art Center Members are welcome to hang one original work of art on a first come, first served basis. Stop by the Art Center’s Main Gallery at 68 Elm Street, Summit, New Jersey, with your work on Wednesday, June 19, 10 AM–8 PM. Want to sign up in advance? Click here.
- $20 entry fee
- One artwork per member. Maximum size: 40” x 40” for 2D work (including frame); 24” x 24” x 36” for 3D work.
- Artist must be a current member of the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey. Member must be an adult.
- A guest juror will select five works to receive awards.
The Fine Print:
- Works must be dropped off in person during the installation period: Wednesday, June 19, 10 AM–8 PM (or until exhibition is at capacity).
- Works must be picked up in person Sunday, June 30 after 3:30 PM; Monday, July 1, 12–7 PM; or Tuesday, July 2, 10 AM–5 PM.
- Artist may send a representative for drop off or pick up but must have a letter signed by the artist authorizing them to submit and/or pick up artwork.
- Space is allotted first come, first served.
- Wall mounted works must be wired and ready to hang. A limited number of pedestals and tables will be available for 3D works on a first come, first served basis.
- If you are displaying hand-crafted jewelry or other small items, you must provide your own display case.
- All artworks must be family-friendly in content. The Art Center retains the right to refuse an artwork for any reason.
- Artists can choose to have their artwork for sale. Commission is 20% to Art Center and 80% to the artist. Artist can choose to donate all proceeds to the Art Center’s programs.
- Sold work can only be picked up by the purchaser during the designated pick-up times listed above.
- Any artwork that is not picked up by 5 PM on Tuesday, July 2 becomes the property of the Art Center.