Our Members are the cornerstone of our mission, and the Art Center offers a series of exclusive events for Members throughout the year.
Not a Member?
Thanks to all of our Members, the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey continues to be the state’s largest institution dedicated exclusively to viewing, making, and learning about contemporary art. Each year since 2009, the Art Center has been designated as a “Major Impact Organization” and granted a “Citation of Excellence” from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts. The Art Center is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and serves thousands of children, teens, families, and special needs groups every year.
Basic Membership Includes:
- Unlimited free gallery admission
- Members-only tuition rate on Studio School classes
- Eligibility for exhibition opportunities
- Discounted admission to selected special events and programs
- Discounts on exhibition catalogs
Members Opportunity to Exhibit
Deadline for Entry: May 4
Are you a member of the Visual Arts Center looking to exhibit your work? The Members Committee is happy to announce an opportunity in the Visual Arts Center’s second floor community galleries—as well as other community spaces in Summit—for the 2020–2021 exhibition season. You may submit a proposal for a solo exhibit or for a group exhibition of member artists who wish to show collectively. The exhibition season runs from September 2020–August 2021
There is no entry fee and the exhibiting artist will be responsible for the collection and dispersal of artworks within allocated time frames; the cost of printing show cards, if desired; and food and beverage at the opening, if desired. Art Center staff will provide the installation space, and along with member volunteers, assist in hanging the artwork, as well as working with the organizer on an opening and publicity for the exhibition. The exhibition will need to include works to fill the exhibition space (84 linear ft. in Robinson Strolling Gallery II, 43 linear ft. in Ann’s Place Gallery) and 2D works must be ready to hang with appropriate wire or fixtures for hanging. Proposed exhibitions can be one-person, two-person, or group shows and all works must be family-friendly and appropriate for a general audience.
To submit a proposal, please send:
- 10 images (jpg or pdf) representative of the work to be shown with an identifying list that includes the artist name, title, year created, size, and media.
- Contact information, including name, email, and phone number of person proposing the exhibition.
- A description of the exhibition, including exhibition title, names of participating artist(s), and the concepts or themes that will be explored.
- A short bio for each participating artist.
Only one proposal is required for group exhibitions. All participating artists must be current members of the Visual Arts Center at the time of proposal. Send the complete proposal via email to Melanie Cohn at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Proposal for Members Committee” in the subject line. Incomplete proposals will NOT be considered. All proposals must be received by May 4.
2020 Members Art Show and Collectors Week
The Members Committee is excited to announce the Spring 2020 Members Art Show & Collectors Week! This exhibition is a ten-day celebration of art made by our members from June 19–28. All Art Center adult members are welcome to hang one original work of art on a first-come, first-served basis. Interested members can sign up in advance online or call the front desk.
- $25 entry fee
- One artwork per member. Maximum size is 40 x 40” for 2-D work (including frame) and 24 x 24 x 36” for 3-D work.
- Artist must be a current member of the Art Center and must be an adult.
- A guest juror will be selecting five works to receive awards.
- Works must be dropped off on Tuesday, June 16.
- The exhibition will be open to the public June 19–June 28.
- Exhibition Opening: June 19, 6–8:30 PM; awards presented at 7:30 PM
- Closing Toast & Art Pick-up: June 28, 3:30 PM. Artwork can also be picked up on June 29 and 30.
Co-organized by the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey, Summit Downtown, and Summit PAL
Do you have art or crafts you want to show and sell? The Visual Arts Center of New Jersey, Summit Downtown, and Summit PAL are thrilled to be hosting an outdoor art festival in beautiful downtown Summit! The event will work alongside local businesses and the Summit Farmers Market and will include a car show, stage with musical performances all day long, and a new beer garden in order to attract large audiences to look at and purchase your works! Click here for more information and to download an application.