The AIM Program (Arts Immersion and Mentorship Program) provides middle school students from low-income households in Summit, New Jersey, with hands-on art experiences and connects them with creative adult mentors to explore how art can positively transform their lives. The program integrates art education and appreciation into the lives of these students during the academic school year through an immersion program provided by the Visual Arts Center of New Jersey. Through the AIM Program students will experience visual art through its creation while taking art classes at our Studio School and by viewing our contemporary art exhibitions. This program allows underserved children to nurture a love for the visual arts, in an engaging, fun, consistent and sequential approach outside of the classroom.
An exciting component of the AIM program is the opportunity to pair a student with an art-loving mentor. Mentors provide encouragement for the students’ artwork, view and discuss Art Center exhibitions and programs, and accompany participants to other museums and galleries. Mentors serve as ambassadors to the art world and help mentees to establish a comfort level with participating in all activities related to visual arts.
- Two full years of Studio School courses of the student’s choice – a total of six classes!
- Each student is paired with an engaged mentor from the community who is interested in the arts.
- Free Art Center memberships at the $125 Artist/Friend level so participants and their families will receive unlimited admission to the Art Center Galleries, discounts on art supplies and invitations to events and programs.
- Free NARM (North American Reciprocal Museum) memberships for the whole family that includes free admission to over 700 museums nationwide.
- Visits to other New Jersey cultural institutions accompanied by a mentor.
- End of semester celebrations at the Art Center for students and their families to view the students’ artwork.
APPLY TO THE PROGRAM
If your child is a rising sixth grader or rising seventh grader living in Summit apply to the AIM Program today!
Please send completed application and essay to:
Sarah Walko, Director of Education and Community Engagement
Visual Arts Center of New Jersey
68 Elm Street, Summit NJ 07901
or email: email@example.com
Tel. 908.273.9121 x213
BECOME A MENTOR
If you are a responsible adult with a passion for the arts and a sincere desire help a young person become comfortable with the arts apply to be an AIM Mentor today!
Please send completed application to Sarah Walko, Director of Education & Community Engagement via firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address listed above.