The Visual Arts Center of New Jersey continually works to enrich, amaze and inspire all who pass through our doors. The Art Center provides an opportunity for employees to deepen their love of art while contributing their skills and talents. Throughout the year a variety of opportunities may become available.
The Art Center provides a competitive benefits package for full-time employees.
Director of Studio School
Position Type: Full Time, Exempt
Salary: $55,000-$70,000, depending on experience
The Visual Arts Center of New Jersey is inviting applications for the position of Director of Studio School. Review of applicants will begin immediately, continuing until the position is filled.
The ideal candidate will bring strong management skills and the highest standards of creative and educational excellence to the position. Evidence of professional leadership within an organization, experience as a manager, and strategic business skills are required. These attributes may be demonstrated through a track record as an administrator in the visual arts, with the ability to build and contribute to a culturally diverse faculty, staff, and student body. Knowledge of developmentally/age appropriate approaches to arts education and experience in evaluating and enhancing art curriculum is preferred.
The person filling this position must be able to effectively manage a wide range of people who work across a variety of aesthetic premises with diverse tools and processes. Candidates should have an inspirational and aspirational approach to the art education of diverse artists of all ages. The position requires effective decision-making/problem solving, strong budgeting skills, curriculum development, team management, cultivating new economic resources, embracing new technologies, and a high level of energy, dedication and passion for art.
–A Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s preferred.
–Candidate must have art studio experience. An understanding of a wide-range of visual arts disciplines is a plus.
–Position requires excellent management, organization, and people skills, including the ability to work with faculty and students; a minimum of 5 years management experience is preferred.
–Knowledge of cognitive development and developmentally-appropriate arts curriculum is a plus.
The Visual Arts Center is committed to diversity in education. We encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to fostering a broadly diverse educational environment. The Visual Arts Center of New Jersey is an EEO/AA employer, and we invite and encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Interested candidates should submit a statement of interest in joining and leading the Studio School, current resume, and names of five references with contact information. These documents may be e-mailed to email@example.com.
About the Arts Center:
The Visual Arts Center’s studio program is highly regarded for how it shapes contemporary art practices among studio school students ranging in age from early childhood to older adults. Founded in 1933, the Art Center has grown into one of the largest visual arts organizations of its kind offering studio art classes, contemporary art exhibitions and public programs for adults, children, and special needs audiences. The Art Center is a fully ADA compliant, 23,000 square foot facility in Summit, New Jersey, featuring 5 galleries and 10 studio classrooms. The studio school offers several hundred classes a year to over 5,000 students. The Art Center includes an AAM accredited museum. Exhibitions introduce contemporary, internationally-recognized artists through group and solo exhibitions. Exhibition-related programs include lectures, films, workshops, and concerts.
The Studio School of the Visual Arts Center is a bustling place: every quarter, we serve 1,200 students as they work with over 80 teachers in 140 classes. We support students, teaching artists, and volunteers. We help the Art Center fulfill its mission to bring contemporary art to the region. Each member of our team can find a particular path into the work: you are welcome to shape your approach so your time at the Art Center is filled with valuable experiences.
Model (Nude and/or Clothed): MUST BE EXPERIENCED
- Posted: August 14, 2017
- Reports to the Studio School Coordinators
- Apply by emailing the Studio School at firstname.lastname@example.org and be ready to provide a cover letter, your resumé, and 3 work references.
- Please do not apply if you have no experience, you will not be considered.
Models are an essential part of any live drawing class. If you model for us, you may not work in other areas, but we rely on a strong core group of models to work for all of our classes.
- Pose unclothed or clothed for a variety of art classes including drawing, painting, and sculpture.
- Take and hold a variety of well-designed and visually interesting poses.
- Initiate an appropriate pose in conjunction with the instructor’s lecture.
- Take a series of short poses varying in time from one to ten minutes to enable students to practice capturing quickly the essentials of an action or gesture.
- Take and hold a pose without moving for twenty to twenty-five minutes; take a five-minute rest and resume the pose; continue for an entire class session or as directed.
- Remember a pose exactly after rest periods; resume same physical position, angle and facial expression.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Appropriate poses for drawing, painting and sculpture classes.
- Basic design principles.
- Well-designed and visually interesting poses.
- Appearance, coordination and physical capabilities of a model’s body. Our instructors design lessons requiring different body types, so clear communication as to your physical type is essential. All body types are welcome.
Skills and Abilities:
- Pose in the nude for art classes.
- Take and hold a pose without moving for up to twenty minutes.
- Remember and resume poses exactly after rest periods.
- Initiate appropriate poses in response to instructor’s lesson.
- Understand the look and capacity of his/her body.
- Behave in a professional manner throughout all interactions with staff, faculty, and students.
- Any behavior considered to be threatening or sexual in nature will result in immediate dismissal.
- Provide own transportation and come to all appointments at the Art Center as scheduled.
- If you cancel on an appointment without due notice, you will not be considered for further employment unless you have a compelling and provable reason.
- All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of studio school students and staff.
Apply by emailing the Studio School at email@example.com and be ready to provide a cover letter, your resumé, and 3 work references.